Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Give New Life to Server

If we were to expand the development team, we'd be taking in people who knew what they were doing or had a passion to learn. Not just people who want a new coloured name.

Learning pawn is a good headstart. It's what me and markski did. (and gee and Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by [SS_Vlad] View Post

Use your brains for creative purposes not to destroy just because you feel it's the right thing to do. I haven't seen a single person except Markski who said, ok sacnr needs some updates, why don't i learn how to code in PAWN and help. NOT A SINGLE PERSON.
    I guess this is debatable, there could be a number of reasons, such as.

Not everyone finds it interesting, it could be difficult, time-consuming, not the best facilities, some people just can't hack code, some have the passion but still struggle, some are just doing it for a colour change etc.

Not everyone is a coder, probably why no one mentioned it. Some just want a game to play. I do understand your point though.

Taking all those points into account is exactly why us players should take a moment and think how difficult the scripting actually is. Everyone needs to take these into account and keep patient whilst being informative and staying positive.

If there's only 2 active developers, changes aren't going to be done fast are they.
    Last edited by Scarface; 21-08-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    If we were to expand the development team, we'd be taking in people who knew what they were doing or had a passion to learn. Not just people who want a new coloured name.

Learning pawn is a good headstart. It's what me and markski did. (and gee and Blake)
    When I said I have an extraordinary memory, I was not kidding at all. And I don't give a shit about a name colour change lol. I was just offering my time to change the server's state.

- - - Updated - - -

first 101 digits of PI number off head:

3.141592653589793284626433832795028841971693397510 58209749445923078164062862089986288034825342117067 9

This is just a glimpse of my memorization qualities.

I can store anything inside my head and use it for when I need to.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 2 years I haven't yet went to University from high school and I don't even need University LOL. I'm myself a University.

Countless of mathematical forumals are inside my brain, countless scientific names of animals are in too, history stuff. Dude, I'm a human computer. Really.

- - - Updated - - -

And no, I'm not a savant. It's all learned.
    Last edited by Ben18; 21-08-2019 at 02:36 PM.

SACNR Admin & Developer Markski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben18 View Post
    When I said I have an extraordinary memory, I was not kidding at all. And I don't give a shit about a name colour change lol. I was just offering my time to change the server's state.
    I appreciate the demonstration, but memory isn't very useful in this particular scenario

No, you can't learn to script in a few hours. You can learn some specifics but even with a solid comp. sci base it took me weeks (of investing very little free time each day, admittedly) to do anything decent on the Pawn scripting language. I started by making a small DM gamemode before deciding I was ready to begin writing code for SACNR. If you really want to try and learn, you can use the following documents: SA-MP Wiki - Igzeb's Pawn Basics Tutorial - Y-Less' Pawn Curriculum - The Pawn Language original documentation.

Furthermore, the current bottleneck with SACNR's development isn't directly related to the amount of developers, but rather to the time it takes to test and assert things work fine. Keep in mind the future update required rewriting and refactoring a lot of existing code, so things simply cannot be rushed when it comes to asserting everything works as it should.
    Last edited by Markski; 21-08-2019 at 03:25 PM.

You guys took my statement WAAY out of context...

I just spent way too much trying to clean up the thread but it's much easier to close it at this point. None of the recent posts have really been on-topic so if you have some actual ideas for the future or just want to talk about it in general, feel free to open a new thread. From now on I'll however delete all off-topic posts without notice. Moaners may moan in the official moan thread in the complaints department.

We could have had a nice discussion in this thread but so far I've only seen people who haven't played in months moan about things that happened years ago (most of the posts were fine!). It's easy to point fingers like that but to me it's just a clear sign of lack of information. I personally have no interest in trying to convince anyone otherwise especially when the loudest moaners play a role in the problem that we are trying to discuss here.