Thread: Grub Rescue

DickLongman

Grub Rescue

Hello
    I just removed my kali linux partition because i wanted to uninstall it. I think this was totally wrong since grub rescue appeared after restarting pc.
    Can somebody skilled help me get through this?

SACNR Admin & Developer Markski's Avatar
    Hello

If kali's "/" was mapped onto a principal partition, deleting the partition probably changed their distribution, making grub fail at detecting any linux or windows image in place. You have two options, booting up a live cd with a canned, easy-to-use OS like ubuntu or other debian based OS which will very conveniently allow you to reinstall grub from there, or use the grub resque console, which was probably developed by a very sadist piece of shit imbecile that wasn't even capable of including the most basic of help commands

You can look up a grub rescue manual to try and reset grub from the grub rescue console if you really want to do it. But for what I remember you'll need to know exactly what kernel version your linux installation(s) are running and append them to the grub image, which is tedious and will make you want to die.

Really, for the love of god, save yourself a lot of time and pain just get your hands on a live cd/thumbdrive and repair grub from there. I believe doing sudo grub-install /dev/sda should suffice, but to be sure see how the drive is mounted in GParted, or look up a more detailed guide at pretty much any computer forum really. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Even better, if you're planning to install another linux distribution somewhere afterwards, you could just do that now and let the installer take care of re-installing grub by itself
    Last edited by Markski; 25-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.

SUB_NORMAL'S CORP. =DCM=SUB_NORMAL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markski View Post
    Hello

If kali's "/" was mapped onto a principal partition, deleting the partition probably changed their distribution, making grub fail at detecting any linux or windows image in place. You have two options, booting up a live cd with a canned, easy-to-use OS like ubuntu or other debian based OS which will very conveniently allow you to reinstall grub from there, or use the grub resque console, which was probably developed by a very sadist piece of shit imbecile that wasn't even capable of including the most basic of help commands

You can look up a grub rescue manual to try and reset grub from the grub rescue console if you really want to do it. But for what I remember you'll need to know exactly what kernel version your linux installation(s) are running and append them to the grub image, which is tedious and will make you want to die.

Really, for the love of god, save yourself a lot of time and pain just get your hands on a live cd/thumbdrive and repair grub from there. I believe doing sudo grub-install /dev/sda should suffice, but to be sure see how the drive is mounted in GParted, or look up a more detailed guide at pretty much any computer forum really. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Even better, if you're planning to install another linux distribution somewhere afterwards, you could just do that now and let the installer take care of re-installing grub by itself
    Couldn't you explain in English?
    SACNR's =DCM= Leader
    SELLING DONATIONS! Contact me. (Currently unavailable)

DickLongman
    Nice irony sub normal. Thanks markski for your answer but i managed to solve that myself. I did some more reasearch on google and found out that i still had kali linux 2016.1 (old version of kali i had installed) and my windows 8.1 iso file. I tried to make bootable usb many times using unetbootin and dd command but none of these managed to make usb bootable in the right way. I used my friend pc which had windows system and from there i downloaded RUFUS which worked perfectly. After i managed to make usb work i entered advanced startup options then CMD.
    I wrote these commands and restarted pc.
    Commands:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

SACNR Admin & Developer Markski's Avatar
    I didnt know about any of these, nice find. Cheers